Monday, November 15, 2010

You think it hurt your feelings?

Well, it looks to be that I have offended some people with a comment I made on MY facebook. First of all, text is taken wrong in so many cases it isn't even funny. I'm sure this is not the first time something I have written on my wall has been taken the wrong way, but this time apparently really stirred up the stink pot.

Let me first explain the conversation that prompted my post. David and I were watching a show on the discovery channel where a man had been misdiagnosed time after time after time. And by these misdiagnosis, he had each arm and leg amputated one at a time. Going through years of this, and going through the removal of each limb one at a time, he was then placed in a nursing home for the rest of his life. His family was no longer able to take care of him, so there he was with no limbs just laying in a bed. Of course he had lost most of his spirit in the mix of all of this, and in the end it all came about that what he had could have been treated by modern day medicine, and the amputations were all unnecessary with the medical condition that he really had the whole time.

So after watching this, David and I were talking about how we felt about that kind of stuff. I argued that it saves lives everyday. He argued that it was inhumane. When I said "I'd rather be missing a limb and still be here than be dead...", His response was that "Yeah maybe losing a leg or whatever, but that is nothing but inhumane to cut someone's limbs off one by one, until they themselves are nothing but a stub (which he tucked his arms down close to his side when he said this and had a very funny facial gesture when saying this), and then proceeded to say " Ya know, we don't even let dogs live life that way. We will put them down because its considered inhumane to make them suffer life like that. If I'm ever in that situation, throw me in front of a bus or do whatever you have to do, I dont want to live that way" And after he said that, I did have to say that I could see where he was coming from.

And I suppose I made the mistake of bringing up our conversation and his imitation of what he would feel like, and by behing honest and saying that I laughed at him the way he did it. Was this me making fun of people who have had amputations? NO! First off, I am not the kind of person who would ever in a million years make fun of someone for that. I am not the type that will call a person fat, let alone make fun of a disability in someone. So when I logged onto my facebook and had 4 different comments under my post of people bashing me for what was said, and saying how bad I hurt them over that, I can't deny that it pissed me off, and it hurt my feelings. First of all, it pissed me off that they would go on my facebook for everyone to read and bash me for it. And Second, it hurt my feelings that they honestly don't know me better than to think I was or would make fun of that topic. Yes I understand that there are people I know who's family members have had amputations and it may be sensitive to them, but if I took everything everyone said and related it to my life, I would be one sad person. Just because someone says something that may be a sensitive subject to me or may hit home to me, I'm not going to go off and bash them for the entire networking world of facebook to read and talk about. I do have enough consideration in me not to ever say anything out of the way towards anyone on their facebook that may embarass them or upset them, and I don't think I am overreacting to what was done to me. And what I really dont get is the fact that I even said And I KNOW THERE IS NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT AMPUTATION... and then mentioned how David immitated what he would be like, and said I couldn't help but laugh at him when he did it. Maybe I should have mentioned that while he was doing this show, that he made the funniest face ever. Honestly, I don't see the huge uproar for someone to say I was making cold jokes about it, or that I thought amputation was funny, and to get fussed at because of who reads it and how it relates to their life. I understand it relates to them and is a touchy subject, but good grief, you don't have to stoop to the level to put me down in front of everyone. My feelings have seriously been hurt tonight and I guess from now on I am just going to have to watch what I say about what I think, or what happens, or what david thinks for that matter on MY OWN facebook from now on.

And these are people that could have called and talked to me about this if it was such an upsetting comment.... did they? No. And yes my feelings have been hurt over this, but now I am just a little more pissed because before logging on and reading the nasty comments left on my page, I had been having one of the best days. Now, that is no longer. They thought I was inconsiderate? What about them? Maybe I should have put my shoe on the other foot, but they were just as wrong in this! And I am just going to leave this at that, because the way it seems, anything I am going to say with the word amputation in it is going to get me decapitated.

No comments:

Post a Comment