Saturday, November 6, 2010

"Whoa, it sure is blustery!"

It's the most wonderful time of the year! NOT! :) I am finally realizing that winter is around the corner... this is definately a part of the year that I am not looking forward to. It amazes me because in the dead heat of summer, I almost always say I can't wait until the fall season where everything starts to cool off a bit. But when wishing these things, I often forget that after fall comes winter. Don't get me wrong, there are some perks to the winter months. You finally get to wear all of your scarfs, boggins, and then of course the cheer of the holiday spirit comes around.

Snow of course is every child's favorite, including mine. Seeing his face when there is a big snow on the ground, and the excitement he gets over playing in it and making snowmen, makes it the best thing at that moment. Then the realization kicks in. It's freezing, makes nothing but a mess out of your car, and your house after having to walk through it to get indoors, and not to mention that it makes a complete nightmare out of just trying to go to the store to pick up a few things. I'm not sure if this happens to every town, or if it is just one of the pleasures of living in a town that is old fashioned and out dated, but I find it to be annoying that if the weather man is even calling for snow flurries, everyone goes and buys up all the milk, bread, hot dogs, etc... I don't know if its the natural fear from the year we had the major ice storm or if our economy is that panicked in every day life, but I find it to be one of the silliest things people around here do. People look at you like you are crazy when they ask you if you went and stocked up for the weather and you reply with "no". When in all reality, they are crazy for going and spending money on food items that they already have, but just feel the need to get more in case a natural disaster is about to hit their house. When I say "Natural Disaster", I do mean the "calling for flurries" broadcast on the local weather channel. Besides the nightmare calling for snow events, does come the Christmas holidays. I love the warm feeling a well decorated, lighted christmas tree instantly brings to the house! Driving down the road listening to christmas carols on North Pole Radio, and seeing all of the twinkling lights brings a warm spirit to any soul. Of course, I am determined to always have the prettiest wrapping job on my christmas presents, therefore I am on the hunt for the perfect sparkly ribbon, and wrapping paper with sparkles through the season. And amongst all of the holiday spirit comes the stress of money. I have been blessed with a little boy who's birthday is 20 days before christmas. As if the hunt for the perfect birthday gift isnt enough, I am then left on the prowl for the perfect christmas present that he doesnt have already from his previous birthday. What do you do when you have a little one who has everything they could possibly want? Trenton is an only grandchild so you can imagine just how "spoiled" he really is. So many people make christmas about how much you get and who can give the most. I really think people have forgotten the true meaning of the holidays. The fun, spirit, and meaning have mutated into something of stress, dread, and greed. It really is a shame...

Amongst the ranting I have made about the winter season, there are some things that make this depressing sunless time of year worth it. For one, the chill in the house leads to some awesome snuggling time with Trenton! Trenton is a #1 fan of hot chocolate year round. I have to try to talk him out of getting it at the gas stations in the summer due to the fact it burns me up to think about him drinking it in 90 degree weather. But for the winter months, my cupboards stay stocked up with his favorite brand of hot chocolate and mini marshmallows. There is no better feeling than watching him sip his favorite drink and brag about how good it is while snuggled up to me with our favorite blanket, and watching tv. Having Trenton in my life has definately made me appreciate the small things. I am willing to do anything from making a fool out of myself, or surprising him with something he has been wanting in order to see him smile and have a good time. He has the most contagious little chuckle you've ever heard! It doesn't matter what kind of day I have had, or what I have on my mind, his little laugh makes everything okay! And although I had my moment of complaining about the hunt for gifts for him for his birthday and christmas, I can't deny that it is also something I love to do. I love the planning of his birthday parties, making sure he has the theme he wants, and letting him look through tons of cakes until he thinks he has found the perfect cake. And of course, at christmas there is no bigger smile than the one he puts on my face when he lights up with excitement and astonishment when he see's that Santa has brought him exactly what he has been asking for!

Now onto the tale of the blustery day! Hence my blog title :) This weeks weather has definately been a lot cooler, and the wind on top of it blowing so hard has really made the chill of winter start to kick in. Of course with us living on top of a huge hill, we always have a pretty good breeze at our house. In the summer and fall I appreciated this breeze, but now that the temperature is plumitting down hill fast, I am not so appreciative of it. When its cold, its cold. But add a breeze, and its freezing. We got up this morning the same as always. First step of the morning, turn on the TV for there is a pokemon marathon on. This alone has made Trenton's day already! Next step, let Josie out to use the bathroom. Josie is a little yorkie, and our family dog. She was a gift from Santa Claus 2 years ago. We normally will leave the door cracked for a few minutes while she is outside that way she can just run back in when she is ready. Being that it has been 40 degrees out, we now make sure we shut the door. Trenton actually left it open the other day and when I told him we couldn't do that anymore, and made the old comment that he was "letting all of the heat out", he was quick to inform me that he wasn't letting the heat out, he was just trying to warm the neighborhood up that way it wouldn't be so cold. And to no surprise, I could do nothing but laugh about it. 9 times out of 10, Trenton comes up with so many things that throw me off guard that I don't even have a comment. I can only laugh! After about 10 minutes of Josie being outside this morning, I asked Trenton if he would let her in. He opened the door and was calling for her in his sweet little voice, and then stepped out onto the porch. Keep in mind, that Trenton was yet to get dressed so he was still running around in nothing more than his camo boxer briefs. No sooner than he stepped out, he came right back in with his little arms crossed rubbing his hands on his arms, as you do when you are cold, and he said "WHOA!!! it is a BLUSTERY day out there today!" And as bad as I hate to admitt it, I at first had no clue what blustery meant. No worries though, Trenton was quick to explain to me that it meant it was really windy outside. Between him standing there in his camo boxers, and the look on his face that clearly was saying "I can't believe you don't know what that means", it was just too darn cute!

As you will soon learn by reading my posts, Trenton is by far one of the sweetest, smartest, and funniest kids I've ever met! I can honestly sasy that I am as proud of a mommy as they come! Proud of the way he is so compassionate, and caring towards his peers. Proud that he is beyond his grade level in school (he is in 2nd grade but in 4th grade reading and math). And Proud that he can find the humor in everyday life that so many of us forget about. If more people could have a little of Trenton inside of them, they would see that life isn't as bad as they make it out to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment