Sunday, April 22, 2012

It's no surprise to me, I am my own worst enemy

Late nights are always the worst. My mind starts racing, and the witching hour of always doubting myself begins. I am the true example in life of "my mind is my own worst enemy". No matter what has happened, and no matter what hasn't happened yet, when my brain turns on, I start doubting myself. I'm the type that will worry about braking a shoe lace. Sometimes I worry about it before it even happens just in fear of not being able to find the exact type of laces that came with the shoe, and lord forbid if I ever do break the shoe lace because then I am worried to death on when i will be able to get the new shoe laces and where I will ever find any just like the one's that broke. Crazy right? I mean, come on! It's just a freaking shoe lace! Not quite- at that moment, it becomes my life. And to think you all thought I was crazy before! =)

Here it is, 1 am and my mind is going a hundred miles an hour. Mostly about my brother tonight though. There isn't a day that goes by that I do not think of him numerous times a day. Most of the time, not an hour goes by that I dont think about him. At times, not a minute goes by.

It's amazing that every person I know says that time heals all wounds and that time makes things easier. Guess what! That's a lie. I cry just as hard now as I did when my brother first passed last year. Speaking of the word passed. I always say passed. I can never say the word dead in the same sentence that has my brother's name in it. Maybe it makes it sound too real? Who knows.

I'd do anything in this world to be able to talk to him just one more time. I'd settle for 1 minute, just enough time to say "i love you". I pray all of the time that my brother knows how much he meant to me and knows how much I love him. And then I pray that he hears me praying for that, just so I know that he knows for sure one way or another.

I feel him at times. His presence. It's comforting. It's peaceful. It's calming. I don't feel him as much as I did when it all first happened, which i wish I did, but I feel him and that's what counts. I dont care if it's for a few seconds, as long as I get that feeling. Some people think I'm coo-coo for saying and believing this, but i think i'd be coo-coo if I didn't believe and know this.

It's amazing how when someone dies you are able to pin point every single thing you ever did wrong with them. Thankfully, I don't ever remember my brother and I having a fight. And I don't mean that I literally don't remember it, as if it happened. I mean I dont remember it as in it never happened. We never fought, never raised our voice at one another, never said anything we truly regretted to one another. But, I do regret not calling him the last day of his existence on this earth. I talked to him almost every day most of the time. Sure, there were times that we would go 2, 3 days tops without actually talking to one another on the phone, but we would always keep in touch through text during those days. The last day he was alive, we did neither. Boy, If i could go back in time and know what happened was about to happen, I'd called and never let him off the phone that day. Biggest regret of my life is procrastinating that used to be usual phone call.

Everything about my brother impacted my life. From the time when we were young, to the time when we grew older. Especially the time he left this world. Some people don't get it because they've never been through it. Some people have never been through it, but get it. And then there are some people, who get it, but refuse to understand it. i can't lie and say that I am fine now because I will never be fine with my brother being taken from this world at such a young age. He had so much going for him, so much to experience, and so much to give. It's a tragedy in our family and a tragedy he was robbed of these privileges. Some may think it's wrong of me, but I can not help the fact that the day my brother was taken, a piece of me was taken with him. My heart has never felt the same since. I'm not sure at this point that it will ever feel the same again.

I'd love to be able to think of my brother and have nothing but warming, loving feelings. While I do indeed have these feelings in my heart when it comes to him, I think of so many things I would have done different such as the phone call, and one big one, I would have had him walk me down the aisle at my wedding. He wanted to be the one to do so, so badly but with my Daddy still living, I felt that it was his place. If I could do it over, it would have been my dad, my brother and Trenton. unfortunately, with life, there are no second chances at times. No matter how much we wish for them, most of the time we do not get them.

So am I the bad person for letting my brother and his passing effect my life so strongly? Or is it the people that find this to have been a problem the bad people? I tend to lean towards the side, I'm not the bad person. I'm the sister that looked up to her older brother more than jerry looked up to tom. I'm the sister that had so much more than a connection of being siblings with her brother, the sister that loved her brother more than she has loved herself most of her life. Derek was the one to always encourage me, push me, and keep me grounded. He always had a way of making me find my best qualities, focus on them, and love them to the core. I miss his words of wisdom and advice, the connection I shared with him but nobody else, and the love he always showed towards me. I miss him.

So what's a girl to do? Do you move on in life as if nothing ever happened like you see so many people do? Or do you mourn yourself to death due to you not being able to physcially, mentally, and emotionally handle the emotions you have due to such an important role in your life being snatched from you during the night, just like you would imagine the tooth fairy snatching teeth from under pillows as fast as she could before being seen? I dont have the answer to this. Not sure if I ever will. Until then, I think I'll just stick to loving Derek for who he was and loving him for all he was to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment