Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The homework blues

Growing up, I got my behind spanked (usually with a switch I had to pick out myself not knowing that the smaller ones actually do not save your behind, they hurt it even worse). My homework (which in elementary school I hardly had any) was to be done as soon as I walked through the door. When it was bed time, I did not argue but went to bed and knew better than to think about getting up (except for the one night I woke up hungry and instead of just walking to the kitchen like a normal being would, I felt it necessary to scoot down the hallway on my belly in attempt to make it to the fridge to get a slice of cheese. Repeatedly. Hence, probably why I got caught in action doing this.) And while having a tantrum or a moment of picking on each other between my brother and I in the backseat of the car, I wasn't fussed at to "stop!", my mom simply would reach around the seat and pinch the holy goodness out of your leg. One of those pinches that literally stops you in your tracks and straightens your tail out instantly. And among all of this, I grew up fine somewhat okay. I have never been in trouble (except for the time Trenton's dad and step mom refused to let me have him when it was time to come home and told me they were keeping him in which then made me go ape shit and get arrested for disorderly conduct BUT thankfully, I was cleared of those charges so technically, no, I have never been in trouble.) But you get the point :)

People always tend to think that because you were raised one way, that is how you will end up raising your child. Although I have instilled some of these qualities as a mother, there are others that I have not. I am probably wrong when it comes to this thought but it seems as though when I was growing up and was picking my own switches off the bush by the house, my parents showed no remorse of wrapping that flimsy little twig around my leg. I on the hand, have always scolded Trenton and got him when he needed it but as any mother would, I have to brag on the little guy by saying that he really is such a sweet child. I cant remember the last time I actually had to "spank" him. I dont think past 3 years old has it happened. For the most part, he listens to me and we have no problems. But at his ripe little age of 15 8, he is starting to come into his own. He knows what he wants, what he absolutely doesn't and what he is willing to work with ya on. And last night, after a hectic afternoon of Nana coming over, cleaning his room, having dinner, and taking a shower, homework was the last thing on the list before going to bed. But instead of having homework on his mind, bed was. After getting onto him a few times and telling him to pay attention and quit daydreaming and get it done, and after this going on for about 20 minutes and him only actually completing 3 problems (math is his strong point. Never have I had to see him count on his fingers to add 3 numbers together, etc...unlike me. I still use my fingers at times!) I finally had just gotten fed up. I told him to either get it done, or go to bed now and go to school without your homework done and sit inside at recess in study hall and do it", thinking this would forewarn him of what his consequences would be and scare him into going on and getting it done. Wrong! He decided he would much rather go to bed. So, off to bed he went. Where he never got back up for any reason at all like normally where he would have to tell me something or ask me something every few minutes until finally getting the point that his questions will be there in the morning, and so will I. (hopefully) After putting him to bed, I had a horrible guilt in me that he would be in trouble at school today so I had this bright idea that I would be sure to get him up early enough this morning that he would have time to get it done before school. Guess what? Nope. He wasn't having it! He refused to do it this morning insisting that it was going to be my fault that he did not get it done because I "yelled" at him last night over it and hurt his feelings. First, I did not "yell" I was firm!! Big difference!! So with him being as stubborn and hard headed as his mother, why do I feel guilty that he is now going to have to sit out from playing with his new friends during recess, and he now will get a note written in his agenda. Getting notes written in their daily agenda is a big deal because they are only allotted so many notes a month and if they get more than that number, then they are not allowed to go to the score party at the end of the month (a celebration party for doing good in school). Maybe it's just the motherly instinct of wanting your child to be the best and have the best coming out? But at the same time, I have a feeling that by sticking to my guns, he might learn his lesson and listen to me when I say it needs to be done and it is time to be done. Who knows? Being a parent, you just never know what the outcome of your decisions and choices will be. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't have it any other way. Even if it meant he wasn't so hard headed and opionated! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment